red cedar hats and clam basket by Wilderness Basketry

red cedar hats and clam basket by Wilderness Basketry
red cedar hats and clam basket/photo by Nina Ricks

cedar root burden basket by Wilderness Basketry

cedar root burden basket by Wilderness Basketry
cedar root burden basket with double warp

red cedar duck basket by Wilderness Basketry

red cedar duck basket by Wilderness Basketry
red cedar duck basket

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

About Us

About me:

I grew up in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky, near Berea, and had no neighbor children to play with so I usually entertained myself by observing nature and playing with natural materials. When I was about six I made my first basket from cockle burrs and later grasshopper homes and bridges from stems. I learned native plants and trees and then I discovered basketry, my second passion in life, the first being plants. My maternal grandmother was Cherokee and she taught me many uses of plants. I remember as a child walking on the river cliffs to gather plants to prepare for dinner. (That's another story.) This awe of plants and weaving has led me to where I am today. I have studied with many Native American master basket weavers from the Pacific Northwest plus local basket artists as well as a noted Applachian white oak basket maker. I have been a member of the Seattle Vi Phillips Basketry Guild for many years and have taught in Washington and Oregon. My work has been displaid in the Kitsap County Indian Museum, local libraries, local and state fairs, and in Washington galleries.  Recently, I was featured in a basketry article in the Kitsap County Westsound Home and Garden Magazine.
My love of plants and weaving remains strong and I would like to share this knowledge so others may experience the spiritual and physical  rewards that weaving with natural materials brings.

My husband, George, grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. He is a wildlife biologist by trade and has devoted many years to the gathering, harvesting, and preparation of natural materials. He has also studied with Native American and local artists. He uses cedar bark, cedar and spruce roots, and local grasses and sedges in his baskets. His prefered technique is coiling.

2 comments:

  1. Are any of your teachers enrolled members of any Washington State tribe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still teaching? I am interested in learning basic basket making techniques. In August or September ? Kristine kakaham@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete